Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Climbing Mt Kenya ultra vast (not for the altitude sick)


Some time around Paddy's day my sister and her boyfriend came out to Kenya and so we all decided to go up Mt Kenya. We got back from the Masai Mara on the sunday evening and set off again for the mountain on the monday. Not obviously ideal planning but we were meeting up with friends that Thursday to go to Samburu and then to Laikipia so it was all a bit of a rush.

I realised on the sunday night that I had no warm clothes with me in Kenya, except my skiing jacket and my walking boots, so I had to start fishing around for things. I dug out my friend's tracksuit bottoms (he's over 6 ft and I'm very short) and a load of jerseys and borrowed a hat. Having done some lightning shopping for quiches, ready-made curries and stews etc (try Gail's kitchen on the Ngong road) we set off on Monday at about lunchtime. Unfortunately we had to take my friend's 30 year old Range Rover which is a goer, but only when it goes!
We realised at this point that we were really very late and so it was a hair raising drive up the dual-carriageway. I'd only ever been driven up there but this time I had to do it myself. We decided the best way was to drive by commitee, if everyone agreed that we'd be in the left lane then that would be where we went. Only the discussions happened at a much more frenetic pace than in most democracies. We swooped in to the Mountain Rock Lodge and collared a guide, the trusty Joseph, then set off for the mountain. We realised at this point that we were going to have to drice up to the first hut as it was too late in the day to walk. It hadn't been in the program before but, well we had very little choice. So we thought that we'd better sort out at this point the awful clonking noise that was going on with the car.
I am not a mechanic, I knew nothing about cars until I met this one and we've been firm enemies ever since. At this point it was just a case of putting the shock absorber back on properly but here is a picture of us putting the drive shaft back on on our way back from Amboseli


Now the car did actually get us up to the hut, which was no mean feat. It did conk out on a particularly steep slope but once I'd fiddled with the distributer cap it seemed to work again. So for once... 3 cheers for that damn car! So in the end we made it to the first hut.

Now to interupt the story slightly to give you more factual info.

We went up by the Sirimon Route. To get there, go up the road to Nanyuki, go straight through it and carry on towards Isiolo. Take a Right turn about 17k up a dirt track past a whole load of little houses, vegetable patches and chickens. Go for ages over rough ground, until you find the gate. You can buy all the tickets you need there. You'll need park fees for as long as you are there (don't get extra ones just in case, you can always buy more when you get back down, you can't get a refund) .You'll also need to pay for staying in the huts and for your guides/porters too if you have any. There are huts at the gate where you can stay. It's a good long way up to Old Moses camp. If you are going to walk up from the gate, make sure you are at the gate good and early.

We arrived at Old Moses at about 6.30. Just in time really as it gets dark at about that time. There is a magnificent view from there. The huts are basic. I'm afraid that if you can't do rodents then this is not the place for you. There is a good deal of scuffling as you sleep. The altitude tends to keep you awake and it is essential to have a seriously warm sleeping bag. A seriously warm one. If you couldn't sleep in a freezer in it then I don't fancy your chances up the mountain. If you have porters then they will cook for you. We didn't so here's us cooking. We actually found that cooking for ourselves was best as there is nothing at all else to do up there. We met a few other mad people tackling the mountain too. There was an old chap from near where we lived even. You have to chat to the other people there as it's the only entertainment. There is a fireplace but no wood so it's definately not cosy.

Well that's the end of the first installment. More another day



More: Mt Kenya Returned

What Not To Forget

On Up Mt Kenya

From Mt Kenya to Samburu

1 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, 19 May, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi, I climbed Mt kenya in 2007, and yes, I agree, the rodents will keep you awake. (until the exhaustion knocks you out.) they even dug into my stash of Chocolate hehehe. I went in September when it was really really wet. Had the time of my life though. Anna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home